Greetings, HaQ readers! This is a good day. I had the opportunity to listen to the Writer’s Almanac and learned that on this day, the Associated Press was founded 171 years ago as a way to get news more quickly from the south to cities in the north. On this day 50 years ago, the incomparable Mr. Rogers aired his first show. And, in the shadow of that august company, on this day one year ago, Here’s a Quarter debuted. Every week since, sometimes a bit late (OK – sometimes a lot late), I’ve offered up what I’m seeing, hearing, and thinking. I am so grateful you’ve been reading.
In the spirit of this one-year blog-iversary – a few things I’ve noticed in the last year:
- Genuine works. Remember the old Popeye cartoon, “I am what I am and that’s all I am”. It’s easy to write from exactly where I am at any given moment, whether that’s coming home from a crazy trip, or sitting at the family table. It’s sweet that my ordinary days hold stories that can reach out to readers.
- Boundaries can be pushed. Introspection and introversion are natural states for me – so taking my thoughts and turning them into a public post every week has stretched my boundaries and made me a little bolder in other areas of my life. I’m grateful for that.
- Sharing feels powerful. Stepping over those boundaries, telling my stories, has helped me build a stronger sense of who I am and what I stand for. I don’t get real political here, it’s not that kind of blog. On the other hand, I can highlight what’s important to me and why. Whatever size circle I can reach – I did that much. Circles have circles around them. Every ripple counts.
- Commitment creates momentum. Because I said I was going to post weekly, I have. Your presence out there, wherever you are, and however often you check in, means that I have a promise to fulfill. So, I’ve done my darndest to make sure I did it. If I can be allowed a moment of self-congratulation: That feels really good. And what feels good has energy behind it, and creates more momentum. Funny how that works.
- Every success counts. Because I can do this – I can do that. Whatever ‘that’ is. Write a 50,000 word novel sketch in November. Edit and publish a short story collection. Develop new collaborative relationships at work. Create better space and a better place in my home.
And one last thing: Every reader counts. I am deeply grateful for everyone who reads what I post. Thank you. The thought of you, out there, really does help keep me going. It is a joy to share with you.
Stay tuned for more on the Here’s a Quarter blog next week! As always, your thoughts and comments are always welcome – they are moderated (I know – adulting again), so they may take a little while to appear, but I read them all and appreciate that you were here. Thank you!
My new story collection is now available: Dog Days .